Series: The Gospel of Matthew | Chapters 8-9
The Kingdom for the Powerless
March 15, 2020 | Steve Krier
Passage: Matthew 9:32-34
- WHAT DID IT MEAN FOR THE MAN TO BE DEMON-OPPRESSED? IN WHAT OTHER WAYS ARE DEMONS OPPRESSIVE? (MATT 9:32-33; MATT 12:22; 1 PET 5:8; 2 COR 11:3-4)
- WHAT ACTION DID JESUS PERFORM IN THIS PASSAGE THAT CAUSED THE MUTE MAN TO SPEAK? HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO JESUS' ACTION IN OUR LIVES? (MATT 9:33; COL 1:9-14)
- HOW DID THE CROWDS REACT TO JESUS HEALING THE DEMON-OPPRESSED MAN? HOW DID THE PHARISEES 3 REACT? (MATT 9:33-34; JOHN 9:32-33; MATT 12:24-28)
- THE PHARISEES COULD NOT DENY JESUS' MIRACLES, BUT DENIED THE SOURCE OF HIS POWER. WHERE DOES JESUS' POWER ACTUALLY COME FROM? (MATT 9:34; JOHN 3:2; MATT 11:27; JOHN 17:2)
- JESUS GIVES US ALL WE NEED FOR THE BATTLE AGAINST DARKNESS. WHAT ARE OUR RESOURCES? HOW CAN WE PRACTICALLY USE THEM IN BATTLE? (ACTS 1:8; EPH 6:10-17)
On your own: Dig Deeper
READ ISAIAH 61:1-3 THIS WEEK.
IN THIS PROPHETIC TEXT, ISAIAH EXPLAINS THE GOAL OF THE MESSIAH'S ANOINTING FROM THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE COMING MESSIAH. TAKE SOME TIME TO PIECE TOGETHER HOW JESUS ACCOMPLISHES THOSE GOALS.
Jesus comes to us. This is the astounding theme in the chapters that follow the Sermon on the Mount. In his sermon, Jesus described the kingdom of God in words. In chapters 8-9, he demonstrates the reality of the kingdom in action. In other words, the kingdom of God is not just a theory, but a reality that brings restoration to all kinds of people.